Sunday 12 May 2024

My Keeper

The day when I took her for a day out; Bombay

                         

 Adulting is hard! I was 10 when I wished to be 25, an adult earning and living life on her own terms. I wish to take back that wish and go back to when I was just 10, to tell her what adulting looks like and to wish more carefully. 

So my hitting hard becomes a lot easier with just the perfect timing of an “Eyyy” - a slang way of saying hello in our family. That’s her on the other side of the call. I could be having a bad day and her sudden morning cute pep-up quotes with little butterflies and flowers would just ease half the pain. That’s my mother and that's mom’s magic. There can't be a bigger magician or mentalist than a mother. She holds the power of your secret box. She can sense the hurt in your voice and the happiness in your shout! 

Where does this magic come from? I always wondered. It’s the bond that connected me even before I was born, which still holds us together. The unsaid things that were shared inside of me were spoken. We were bound to be best friends, isn’t it? We've struggled through ups and downs together and still do. But you know, amongst the secrets we shared, there’s something still unsaid. The part she doesn’t know too! 

Even a child knows what her mother is hiding behind those thoughts. When she looks at nothingness, there's certainly a worry for either one of us or a fictional scene happening. The thrill of seeing her smile when her favorite song plays and then realizing how deeply we understand each other through music is incomparable. Without us even realising , we continue to connect and provide solace to one another. We are each other's counselors ! When she sits at dinner with us, why does she get up last or wait for one of us if we aren’t there for dinner? Even if she has eaten, she would still be the last one to leave the table.Why would she hurt her hand and still cook birthday dinner without a frown? I might just have all the answers .  Because I've been with her before I was even born. That tiny bean knew right from the beginning. 

We play so many roles with each other but my favourite role would be of her BFF. I am her best friend and friends are forever secret keepers. Happy Mother’s Day BFF. 

No comments:

Post a Comment